As veterinarians, we do not recommend feeding bones, raw or cooked, for several reasons.Raw bones are quite hard and often pets fracture their major chewing teeth which result in dental abscesses and immediate necessary extractions.
Cooked bones become brittle and can break into sharp pieces easily resulting in severe internal damage to the stomach and intestines.
The staff at Lomsnes Veterinary Hospital has seen many different types of emergency situations with animals ingesting bones. “Lucky” is just one of many that we have seen in an emergency situation for ingesting bones. He had a shattered chicken bone lodged sideways in his airway impairing his ability to breathe and required emergency medical attention. Fortunately for him, his owners recognized that something was wrong and he was successfully cared for by Dr. Lisa Lomsnes.
Although your pet may have eaten bones in the past, we strongly advise that you think twice and keep all bones away from your pet!
Written by Amanda, RVT