Spring is coming – Finally! With spring comes a few extra things to be aware of as pet owners.
First of all, the melting snow reveals all kinds of “surprises” left behind over the winter by irresponsible owners not picking up after their pets. The animal waste that shows up with the melting can cause many concerns for your pets. One of these concerns is giardiasis or “beaver fever.” It is caused by giardia protozoa that live in the small intestine of animals. Giardia that is shed in the feces can contaminate the environment and water, infecting other animals and people as well!
Another concern from improperly disposed of fecal matter is intestinal worms. The most common of these are roundworms and hookworms. The eggs of these worms are passed through an animal’s stool and animals ingesting even small amounts of fecal matter or contaminated dirt can become infected. Worms can cause animals to become quite sick and can even cause death in very young animals. Remember, these worms can infect humans! The best treatments are prescription dewormers, therefore contact Lomsnes Veterinary Hospital and ask how they can help protect your four legged friend and your family too!
Beware of dewormers that are over the counter. The over the counter dewormers are considered to be a Pesticide instead of a prescription medication, thus they are not held to the “strict” standard of safety as veterinary products.
Do keep in mind that keeping your pet’s parasite free also keeps you and your family healthy too. Giardia and worms are known as zoonotic parasites, which mean they can be passed to humans.
Parvo is a virus that is transmitted through fecal matter. Parvo can be a fatal disease and is especially dangerous to young or immunocompromised animals. Parvo can be easily prevented by ensuring your animal is up to date on their vaccinations. The staff at Lomsnes Veterinary Hospital can assist you in what is best for your animal.
Written by: Lomsnes Veterinary Hospital